Tuesday 29 January 2013

The last of the original fresh foods ......

 
 
The last of the original fresh foods ...... have been lurking in the cupboards almost daring me to use them up.  The longer I have managed to eek them out the further my £2 Housekeeping Challenge budget will stretch.
 
 I don't remember buying these onions, it must have been half way through December, well before Christmas at any rate.  They still seem fresh, but sometimes you never know with an onion.  So in the spirit of Four Potatoes and Three Fishes  I decided that this week they must be used.
 
 
 
 
Following on with yesterdays moan at the sheer amount of eggs in stock at the moment I decided that the first recipe just had to contain eggs, so using the first onion, a red one...
 
 
 
... I whipped up a cheese and onion quiche, with three eggs and some little Blobs of Onion Marmalade from the fridge (to add a suitably gourmet edge to proceedings) and not wanting to put the oven on just for a quiche I whipped the last four Sultana Scones made during my marathon Scone making session back in October of last year from the depths of the chest freezer. 
 
 
 
The kitchen quickly smelt rather divine, all savoury and sweet at the same time!!
 
 
 
And of course once out of the oven, still warm and oh so yummy a little taste test had to be done with one of the scones......chef's perks and all that  :-)
 
 
 
Half of another of the red onions was finely sliced, added to one of last weeks carrots, roughly grated, and a few leaves of finely shredded iceberg Lettuce to make a quick coleslaw to go with the Garlic Kievs and Basmati Rice we had for tea (chicken for Lovely Hubby and veggie for me).  So that's one and a half onions gone already.  The quiche was sliced into four and will be our lunches for the next couple of days.
 
Now what to do with the other 3 and a half onions.....
 
Sue xx
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Have a look at the Barefoot Kitchen Witch blog - Jayne's post with the receipe for savoury baked eggs looked just delicious, and that uses onions as well as eggs - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good.....I'm off for a visit, thanks for the inspiration.

      Sue xx

      Delete
  2. If you don't want to cook them right now, you can dice them and freeze. Just break off bits to use in cooking as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...... I AM on a mission they WILL be cooked this week :-)

      Sue xx

      Delete
  3. That onion soup I made last week was just fab.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that would be a great way to use up a couple of the onions. :-) I love onion soup. However, my first favorite use for onions is to season gravy...lol.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful meal! Love the onion in the quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the colour of those home grown eggs in your quiche...beautiful healthy yellow! Well done, you are very clever with what you are able to come up with to cook :)

    x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.